Prayer

Prayer
A beautiful image of the power of surrender, by Ron Hamad

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I was carried to Ohio in a swarm of bees.

This is not my line. I wish it was. It is from a song by The National. And I am obsessed with it.

I am gearing up for entire week of workshopping a musical I am working on called THE VIVIAN GIRLS.

You can learn more about it here .... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1044012638/the-vivian-girls-a-musical.

It is based on the mythology created by outsider artist Henry Darger. I am writing the book and lyrics and the magical Peter Adams is the composer. Heather Britt is the choreographer. And now, for the next week, 12 actors, a director, music director, etc. will be working with us to see what this piece really wants to be.

I am trying today to get prepared. I am done writing so I am trying to clean out the cobwebs in my brain, anything that is pretentious or fearful, and calling in everything that speaks to beauty and truth and the deep knowing available to us. If we listen carefully. And good.

I am getting there by reading beautiful words and listening to beautiful music and staring at beautiful pictures. I am asking The National and Rilke and James Salter and Henry Darger and Amy Cutler to let me in the club, if only for a week, so I can stay true. So I can listen. So I can get out of the way of the story that already exists.

No comments: