Prayer

Prayer
A beautiful image of the power of surrender, by Ron Hamad

Friday, November 21, 2008

The Truth of Me . . .


This is one of the writing prompts we work with in the True Body Project. You write down "The truth of me ...." and then let the pen fly across the page, trying to keep the editor in your brain from stopping the process.

It is always interesting to see what happens when you let your body try to tell the truth faster than your brain can stop you.

I have been thinking about the truth a lot lately. Particularly, as they say in astrology, in my "financial house." I have shared with a few people the fact that my financial house needs some work around the foundation. And you know what I've been told? "Don't tell anyone!" and "That's the kiss of death for a business owner!"

But telling the truth is an important part of my wellness. So I wanted to share a few facts to put this sticky moment in time in perspective.

Here are some of the facts:

- I am a single woman supporting a son in college.

- I run a small and wonderful wellness business. We do amazing work and honestly can say we change lives. But it is a wellness business with tight margins even in the best economic times.

- I founded a non-profit. And we create and run programs for teen girls via the True Body Project despite the fact that we don't have enough money to do what we do.

- I have an entrepreneur's spirit. I work to build and fund things that take time to pay off.

These things add up to a remarkably full and spiritually enriching life. Not to mention creatively rewarding.

But at this second in time I am not financially enriched.

Is Pendleton Pilates okay? Absolutely! But it is in the exact same situation as every small business (and now larger business) in this country. We cannot borrow any money for the short or long term so we must meet our expenses out of cash flow. So we just have to work smarter and harder to make ends meet.

Will I be okay? Absolutely! I think it is an awesome time to get financially fit. I am making adjustments that should have been made a long time ago. I am making sure that I live within my means and plan for my future. I am working to have good financial health every day.

It is the same thing I learned through Pilates and through the 12-Step program. If you keep yourself honest and hard-working and truthful one day at a time, spectacular strength can come from it. And we can't even imagine the blessings that will come as the result of the diligent truth.

So I share mine with you in case you are struggling yourself.

Yes. This is a hard moment in time but if we are truthful and real and we work to shine light on the issues rather than hide in the dark in our fear, we will move into a stronger place for it.

That is the truth of me. Conserving and working for a better future. Optimistic beyond belief.

What is the truth of you?

No comments: